The Coca-Cola Company will work with a host of partners in the coming years to deliver its “World Without Waste” packaging vision, which includes collecting and recycling a bottle or can for every one it sells globally by 2030 and renewing its focus on the entire packaging lifecycle.
As a global company operating in more than 200 markets, Coca-Cola established three fundamental goals:
- Make packaging 100% recyclable globally by 2025, and use at least 50% recycled material in our packaging by 2030.
- Collect and recycle a bottle or can for each one sold by 2030.
- Work with partners to support a healthy, debris-free environment.
The company’s Mission Sustainability 2025 commitments set out how Coca-Cola plans to achieve these goals. By 2025, the company will:
- Ensure that 100% of our consumer packaging is recyclable
- Source 35% of the total PET we use from recycled PET and/or PET from renewable material
- Help collect the equivalent of 75% of our primary packaging
In several markets in Europe the objective is as early as 2023 for 50% recycled PET with certain markets in Europe to reach 100% recycled or renewable plastic in the future. (e.g. Sweden is already at 100% rPET for our portfolio, with Netherlands and Norway the same in 2020).
The Coca-Cola System in Europe is also a signatory of the Circular Plastics Alliance, signing for a goal to use an average of 45% rPET across our portfolio by 2025.