Fevia, the federation of the Belgian food industry, is launching packaging2025.be: a website about the Belgian food and drink industry’s packaging commitments.
The Belgian food and drink industry is working towards the following six commitments:
- Recycling of plastic packaging: 65% by 2023 (Europe requires at least 50% recycling in 2025 and 55% recycling in 2030)
- Recycled material in beverage packaging: 50% in 2025
- Collection and recycling of beverage packaging: 90% by 2022 (Europe requires 90% collection by 2025)
- Make packaging more recyclable, reusable and biodegradable: 100% by 2025
- Selective collection of out-of-home packaging: double by 2025
- Reduce litter by 20% by 2020 and halve household packaging in litter by 2025
In addition to sectoral commitments, 9 large companies took a series of concrete measures last year in order to achieve these 6 objectives and to contribute to more sustainable packaging. These are the following companies: AB InBev , Alken-Maes , Coca-Cola , Danone , Mars , Nestlé , PepsiCo, Spadel and Unilever.