In February 2021, UNESDA Soft Drinks Europe announced its Circular Packaging Vision 2030 to accelerate the soft drinks industry’s transition to a circular economy.
UNESDA’s goal is that EU beverage packaging (plastics bottles, metal cans and glass bottles) is recognised as a resource in a circular economy. Packaging should never end up as litter because it has value and should be collected and reused as recycled content.
UNESDA takes the journey towards full circularity very seriously. That’s why we have pledged to significantly surpass existing EU targets and drive towards making EU beverage packaging fully circular by 2030.
The UNESDA Circular Packaging Vision 2030 includes the following commitments:
- all beverage packaging to be 100% recyclable
- all PET bottles to contain 50% recycled content
- PET bottles to be made from 100% recycled and/or renewable material
- >90% collection for all beverage packaging
- increased use of refillable packaging
UNESDA continues to work closely with its members and the entire value chain to build up a more circular, sustainable world, in line with the EU’s Green Deal objectives.