Growing challenges such as climate change, resource depletion, and malnutrition are affecting our sector and society alike. In the context of the European Green Deal and the Farm to Fork Strategy, we are determined more than ever to help address these global challenges by moving towards more sustainable food systems and implementing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Here are our 12 areas of action to make it happen:
1. Climate change: Support the EU’s target to be carbon neutral by 2050 with more energy efficient operations, a higher use of renewables and supply chain collaboration.
2. Resource efficiency: Improve the footprint of manufacturing to preserve the value of resources like water, raw materials and energy, whilst working to halve edible food waste by 2030.
3. Packaging: Limit the quantity of packaging, encourage re-use, innovate to find sustainable alternatives and help consumers make sustainable choices.
4. Sustainable sourcing: Ensure due diligence within supply chains and responsible business conduct to protect biodiversity and forests, as well as human and animal rights.
5. Single Market: Protect single market principles for the free movement of goods and labour to support Europe’s largest manufacturing sector, accounting for more than 4.7 million jobs.
6. Farmer collaboration: Work with all farmers to prevent unfair trading practices.
7. International trade: Drive an ambitious policy for free and fair trade that supports sustainable development in all Free Trade Agreements.
8. Research and innovation: Provide a predictable policy environment that supports investment into innovations for a more sustainable food supply chain.
9. Food safety: Maintain safe and high-quality food and drink through evidence and science-based policy that also supports sustainable food innovations.
10. Optimise nutrition: Innovate to further optimise the nutritional content of food and drink and develop new products that respond to consumer demands.
11. Balanced diet: Give consumers clear information to maintain a healthy, balanced diet with access to a wide range of nutritious and enjoyable products.
12. Healthier lifestyles: Provide education, resources and encouragement towards healthier lifestyles with regular exercise.
To read more about these 12 steps see our full paper: The path of the food and drink industry towards Sustainable Food Systems