These guidelines outline the aspects of product innovation and reformulation that may need to be considered when undertaking reformulation work.
There can be many reasons why a food and drink manufacturer would want to reformulate their products, such as:
- Modifying calorie content;
- Improving nutritional profile (e.g. ingredient selection, fortification with micronutrients, increasing fibre, protein, wholegrain, or decreasing salt);
- Cost reduction;
- Supply chain adjustments;
- Improving shelf-life;
- Enhancing product characteristics (e.g. texture);
- Responding to regulatory changes;
- Responding to consumer perceptions and acceptance challenges;
- Improving sensory profile of a product;
- Adjusting the portion or serving size;
- Improving sustainability of a product (e.g. ingredients, production methods, packaging).