This document proposes certain support mechanisms that should be put in place for the revision of the EU’s Packaging and Packaging Waste Directive (PPWD) in order to successfully build a circular economy for food and drink packaging in the EU.
- A fact-based policy making process based on the green deal objectives is a basic prerequisite
- Legal and financial certainty should be ensured as these are essential to provide a direction of travel to all players in the value chain
- The end of the circular packaging value chain (sorting and recycling) should be reinforced with harmonised, sufficient infrastructure
- Targeted recycling targets and definitions in the PPWD should be reviewed to further circularity of packaging and maintain packaging functionalities
- Harmonisation of consumer sorting instructions and Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) minimum requirements and fee modulation is essential to ensure a single market for circular packaging